4.04.2010

Gorilla Mask on a stick and some Intercourse (beer)

By: Hebrew Cyclist

Must be time for the Mid-Atlantic Super Series Team Relay!!!!

This year was my first MASS Team Relay, and I got to line up with the fellow gentleman of the Giant Mid-Atlantic squad, looking resplendent in our blue & white.  The team, in order, was as follows:

Matt 'The Experience' Miller
Jordan 'Hebrew Cyclist' Kahlenberg
Rich 'Richie Rich' O'Neil
Martin 'Speed Kells' Kell

Despite not being in costume, we did have some pretty sweet nicknames.  Even SWEETER was the fact that Matt signed us up according to our nicknames and not our real names.  Genius!  Luckily, he mentioned this to me beforehand, but it didn't seem to sink in to the people at the registration table, who were doing an awesome job but were too busy and focused to deal with our (i.e. Matt's) Shenanigans (Did somebody say shenanigans?!?!).  After moving lines 2 or 3 times I finally got my number and it was off to the giant tent with it's humungoid banner (that we somehow did not get a picture of....) to ready for the battle royale to commence.

After a lengthy wait, the gun sounded and Matt took off during the LeMans style start, looking quite chipper as he pranced along the run course to his bike.  After rifling off a quick first lap, it was my turn to take to the course.  I totally dug this course, with it's tacky soils, fun log jumps, and tricky tight corners that tested your handling skills.  My XTC 29er kept me upright and rolling fast!  After a solid 14 minute lap, I handed off the next lap to Rich and we just kept rolling.

Highlights of the day:  

- Me not clipping into my pedal while Matt tried to push me from behind during one of our lap exchanges, ending in me clipping in and Matt flipping over his bars (give us a break, we're mountain bikers not trackies!).

- Donning the monkey mask once my laps were done and heckling some of the competition

- Yi Ming's crazy delicious fried cookies

- Passing around rounds of Intercourse Brewing's Baresville Pilsner and Blue Balls Porter.  Best recovery drink!

- Getting to see everyone at the races again after a long winter!!


BIG THANKS to Mike Kuhn and the PAValleys.com crew for organizing and putting this event on.  We're already looking forward to next year!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home