4.30.2013

Early Season Drag Race, a Fair Hill Race Report

No time for smiles!

And so it was on a fine Sunday morning that the Pro/Elite field of the Mid-Atlantic Super Series found themselves geared up for our bi-annual slugfest at Fair Hill near Elkton, MD.  Not one to fib, I'll admit this is not my favorite race:  No hills, no tech, nowhere for me to make my mark.  Also not one to wallow in negativity, I toed the line with an optimistic outlook, ready to take what I could get on the day.  The timer counted down as my muscles tensed, ready to uncoil at the 'go'.

Before my thrilling race synopsis ensues, let's first look back at the previous 48hrs leading up to that moment:  On Friday I found myself driving up to East Stroudsburg University where my teammate Matt Miller awaited.  Matt is a bit of a trail-blazer in the field of mountain bike power training (read his interview on fattirefests.com!), and is completing a Masters in Physiology at ESU.  For his thesis, he was conducting tests on VO2, FTP, and most importantly Critical Power.  He's fancy schmancy!  After testing on Friday and Saturday, I was as opened up as I could get and ready to have a go at the Fair Hill course.

Needs more cowbell.


Back to the start line, the timer says 'go', and we're off like a herd of gophers chasing a chex mix truck. First sensation was that of calmness, having little problem with the pace.  Second sensation was that of a possible rear flat, d'oh!  Waiting for the right time to check my tire, it seemed good to go, so I continued on my quest.  Luckily my stalling didn't cost me too many places, and was able to stay attached to the lead group.  A blown corner cost me that position though, and I quickly found myself in no-man's land as I bridged back up.  On my way up, I caught up with some riders heading back and hung out with them for a bit, before a mistake cost me that spot as well, double d'oh.

There's something to be said about the persistence of bridging back up to riders after several mistakes and miscalculations.  It's a unique sensation of frustration and accomplishment.  That being said, I was definitely feeling more of the accomplishment as the race entered its twilight and I found myself picking up a few positions as the finish drew near.  A sly pass before a fun section of singletrack put me in position for the finish and I rode in just shy of catching the next rider to bag a 5th place on the day.

Thanks to all our sponsors, Giant Bicycles, SRAM, Schwalbe, ESI, Adidas Eyewear, Northwave, DNA Clothing, Elete, Raw Revolution, Muc-Off, and Enzo's.

~ Jordan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home