4.30.2012

Michaux Maximus

The Michaux Endurance Series is known as the roughest, toughest and stupidest race series around.  Aside from the State College area (MTB mecca of the Universe?), it has the biggest trail mass in the region.  The 40 mile races are long, extremely technical, have tons of climbing and often make you question why you do this sport.  Or maybe affirm why you do this sport.  One thing is for sure: you either love it or hate it.
Me? I love it.

This past weekend was the first of the three race series and it ended up being a beautiful day!  I brought along the XtC Composite 29 hardtail to race.  I knew it wasn't the best choice when compared to my Anthem X 29, but it's light weight and sharp handling had me feeling it would do the job just swell.

I started off rather easy as I usually do in these races, but this time, easy put me into the first singletrack in the top 5.  My goal was to watch the power on the climbs, hold a pace that would be manageable for 4+ hours, and rip the one-track like a good boy should.  Here is the file for you nerds.  Keep in mind I run a buck twenty five on the scale, so other than me just landing on the suck side of fast, that's my excuse for why the numbers are weak.

Mostly I just added this because I have no pictures other than the jar of pickle juice I just downed.

 ok, fine.  here's the pickle juice, too.

Anyway.  I feel I rode quite well.  Maybe should have given a little more on some of the long climbs and maybe lost a little on the slow tech sections with the hardtail, but certainly gained on some of the rippers and maintained a rather steady pace.  Good news is that I didn't bonk, my one flat sealed itself and I had no bike issues other than the scratches and gouges from the endless rock.  Oh, and I crossed the line as the fourth soul with an emptied tank.  The views were scenic, the trails variable and the competition was good.  Furthermore, paired with the hilly ride from the preceding day, it was an excellent workout with an eye on the main goal of the Trans-Sylvania Epic.

TSE Countdown: less than a month.
Fast guys: still signing up.
Scared factor: 10
Psyched factor: 11

Thanks,
-the matt miller experience

1 Comments:

Blogger Jake said...

Lemme guess... between 50 and about 70 minutes is Dead Woman's Hollow? Nice job this weekend...

May 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home