6.02.2011

Turning it around again: Greenbrier Challenge Race Report

Martin: Head down and pedals turning at the Greenbrier Challenge

By: Jordan

After a cooler and wetter than normal Spring, I find myself staring down a hot and humid summer.  Somewhere in that short transition between the two, there was the Greenbrier Challenge.  This year's race was an AMBC and MARC race, as well as the Maryland state championships.  This is easily one of my favorite races all year, and I typically rise to the occasion somewhat to have a good result.  Go me!

Matt takes flight over one of the many logs on the descent.

The day prior, Martin and I took to the course to see what's what and what has changed.  To my shagrin, nothing was drastically different and the course had it's normal flow of short, technical climbs with a mix of fast and technical descents.  As I was riding the Trance this day, the descents were a little faster than normal, which was ok with me! 

At this point in the report, I wish something exciting happened that I could expand upon, but alas this is not the case.  On with the report........

Me, looking like I'm going fast, wishing I was going faster!

Race day comes and I'm rolling up to the race a little early.  Tent set, Martin shows up, Matt rolls in fashionably late, the mood is set.  Pre-race prep goes relatively well, roll to the line and get my leg marked.  Whistle blows, we're off, and I have a mediocre start, which is better than the horrible starts I had been having early season.  The front of the race stays in sight for a while, but I can't seem to make up the ground necessary to catch their wheels.  I linger for the first lap or two than lost contact.  Despite this, I have fun on the course and just ride my bike in a relatively quick manner.  Trying out different lines, I keep my motivation up by jumping obstacles that I could clearly ride around quicker.  After riding the majority of the race in no-man's land, I finish up in 10th place.  Not what I had wanted or hoped for, but I'll take it mang!

Thanks to Potomac Velo Club for putting on this great event year after year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home